The University President is responsible for approving the university’s compensation and classification plan and any exceptions to, or major revisions in, the compensation program.
University Budget Heads
University budget heads are responsible for administering pay for employees within their organizational unit in accordance with university policies, procedures, and guidelines, and for making recommendations to the Office of Human Resources as follows:
- Communicating with their employees about program policies and individual compensation issues, to include providing the most current job descriptions to supervisory and managerial personnel;
- Coordinating the evaluation of employees with regard to eligibility for pay increases;
- Working with the Office of Human Resources in compensation matters, to include the updating of job descriptions annually; and
- Ensuring that salary increase procedures are followed.
Managers and supervisors should refer issues that are not covered by these guidelines to the Compensation Specialist in the Office of Human Resources.
Office of Human Resources
The Director of the Office of Human Resources (HR) has ultimate authority and responsibility for ensuring that the university’s compensation objectives, structures, and policies are carried out.
The ongoing responsibility for overseeing the day-to-day administration of the program has been delegated to the Compensation Specialist. The following duties are within the purview of the Compensation Specialist:
- Drafting or recommending new or revised compensation policies and procedures;
- Administering the daily operation of the salary administration function, including the recommendation for approval of salary actions to the Director of HR;
- Preparing, maintaining, and approving job descriptions;
- Conducting and monitoring the evaluation of new jobs and re-evaluation of existing jobs;
- Reviewing the pay structure annually to maintain market competitiveness and internal equity;
- Reviewing compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and other governmental regulations as they relate to the compensation function;
- Appraising program effectiveness and recommending program revisions as necessary;
- Reviewing and monitoring annual employee performance evaluations;
- Answering basic questions related to the compensation plan; and
- Ensuring that university Budget Heads are trained on the compensation plan rules.
University budget heads may appeal the decision of the Director of Human Resources in writing within ten (10) days of receipt of notification to the VP for Business Affairs. The VP for Business Affairs may change or revise the decision of the Director of Human Resources if the decision complies with established compensation program guidelines. If the VP for Business Affairs agrees with the decision of the Director of Human Resources, the matter may be appealed to the President. The President’s decision is final.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.