Panther Medical Withdrawal Insurance

Prairie View A&M University has partnered with GradGuard to offer PVAMU students withdrawal insurance in the event of an unforeseen withdrawal due to medical or health related issues.  Each year thousands of college students are unable to complete classes for the semester due to unforeseen medical issues such as:

  • Illness,
  • Accidents,
  • Mental health related issues, or
  • Death

Unfortunately, in many cases these families are unable to recoup all of their tuition dollars.  While attending a university in the state of Texas and depending on the timing of the withdrawal, you may be responsible for paying all or a portion of the tuition and fee charges and may not receive a 100% refund according to the Student Withdrawal Refund Policy and  Texas Education Code §54.006.  We understand that these types of situations can be a financial hardship for many families.  Therefore, we are pleased to make available the Tuition Refund Insurance plan.

Tuition Refund Insurance can help refund your tuition, fees, and room/board charges, up to the policy limits, if you are unable to complete the semester due to a covered medical reason such as an illness, accident, death or mental health issue.  This insurance program complements and enhances our school’s refund policy and we believe families will benefit from this added protection.

How Do I sign up for the Insurance?

Students can sign up for the insurance at the time you register for courses.  The sign up is included in the Promise to Pay Agreement that you see prior to you registering for each semester on-line via Panthertracks.  Look for the sign-up options at the bottom of the promise to pay agreement.  You must be signed up at the start of each semester if you wish to be enrolled in the insurance plan.

What is the cost of the policy per semester?

PVAMU and Sallie Mae will offer four (4) policies to choose from depending on the cost of your tuition and fees which is based on residency and being an on campus student.  We will offer a $2,500.00 policy per semester at a rate of $49.25(for those enrolled in 1 8 week session only), a $5,000.00 policy per semester at a rate of $98.50, a $10,000.00 policy per semester at a rate of $197.00 per semester, and a $15,000.00 policy per semester at a rate of $295.50 per semester to cover the cost of tuition, fees, meals and housing.

Panther Medical Withdrawal Insurance (Tuition Refund Insurance)

Policy Coverage Amount (per semester) Cost to Student (per semester)
$2,500.00 $49.25
$5,000.00 $98.50
$10,000.00 $197.00
$15,000.00 $295.50

What is covered by Tuition Refund Withdrawal Insurance?

Up to 100% of covered fees up to the chosen policy limits for:

  • Withdrawal of the covered student from an academic program due to illness or injury
  • Withdrawal of the covered student from an academic program due to emotional, mental or nervous disorder (Two-day hospitalization required).
  • Death of the covered student during the dates of coverage
  • Death of the tuition payer (if different from the student) that results in the student’s withdrawal from an academic program.

Covered fees include tuition & fees, meals, housing, and any balance due to a refund that may have been issued prior to the removal of financial aid due to the withdrawal.

In order to qualify for “medical withdrawal” the student must have gone through the University’s official process for medical withdrawal, and must have confirmation from a physician that withdrawing from the academic program is recommended for medical reasons.  Withdrawal forms can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or at the following link

What if I sign up and then I change my mind and wish not to purchase the insurance?

If a student chooses to purchase a policy and decides later that they do not wish to purchase the policy, the student must cancel the policy prior to the 1st class day of the semester in which the policy was purchased for.  Students may submit a request for cancelling the policy in writing by sending an e-mail to with ID number and contact phone number or the request may be faxed to 936-261-1959.  The request must be received prior to the University’s established 1st class day to be processed.  If the request is received on or after the 1st class day, the request will be denied.

If I want to Increase my limits, do I have to buy more coverage prior to the first day of classes?

Yes, the student will need to purchase any additional coverage prior to the first day of classes.  Requests for additional coverage may be sent to  Student must provide their student identification number, contact phone number, and indicate which policy they wish to be moved to in the request.

Who is eligible for Tuition Refund Insurance Coverage?

Any student who is healthy enough to begin classes, attending an accredited academic program that offers this Tuition Refund Insurance program, and responsible for tuition costs, may purchase Tuition Refund Insurance.

How long does the policy last?

The policy begins on the University’s first class day and is covered on a semester basis based on the semester the policy is purchased for.

How do I file a claim?

A student can notify Sallie Mae Insurance Services of a claim by calling 800-719-5915 or by emailing Sallie Mae Insurance Services will work with the underwriter, Markel Insurance Company, on behalf of the student to process the claim. The underwriter will issue the payment directly.

Who receives claim payment?

Payments will be made directly to the policyholder. Claim payments are made once all of the requested documentation is processed and approved. In most cases, the University is the policyholder and will receive payment on behalf of the insured. If there are no outstanding tuition payments due, the school will forward the payment to the insured. In instances where the University is not the policyholder, payments will be issued to the insured.

Additional frequently asked questions?

Please go to and click on “frequently asked questions” on the right side of the page.

Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.