Verification is a process through which the institution verifies the information you reported on your FAFSA. Federal regulations require all institutions to perform verification on all applicants who were selected for verification either by FAFSA or institutionally by PVAMU Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships. The verification process requires the institution to collect additional documents from the student and his/her family in order to verify information provided on the FAFSA. Along with a verification worksheet, the student will need to provide the Financial Aid Office with all necessary documents and information indicated on the verification worksheet. Depending on individual situations, additional documents may be requested as needed. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure the Financial Aid Office receives the items requested in a timely manner.
NEW VERIFICATION INFORMATION
The 2013-2014 verification items include the same verification items that are in place for the 2012-2013 award year, plus two additional items as follows:
- High School Completion Status – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their high school completion status – high school diploma, recognized equivalent of a high school diploma, or homeschool.
- Identity/Statement of Educational Purpose – For the 2013-2014 award year, certain applicants will be required to verify their identity and resubmit a Statement of Educational Purpose, as was originally provided as part of the FAFSA submission.
How to Avoid Delays in the Verification Process
- Read your Student Aid Report (SAR) after completing the FAFSA to know if you have been selected for verification.
- Check your Panther Tracks for “Unsatisfied Requirements” relative to Verification requirements.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval tool when completing your FAFSA (http://pvamu.edu/pages/3385.asp)
- Submit your verification requirements as soon as possible.
- Obtain your IRS Tax Transcripts as soon as possible. (http://pvamu.edu/pages/3385.asp)
- Provide W-2s for each person whose income is reported on your FAFSA.
- Carefully read each section of the Verification Worksheet.
- Amounts reported on the Verification Worksheet are to be annual/per year figures, not monthly.
- Complete all questions requiring a dollar amount (do not leave blank).
- All applicable parties must sign the Verification Worksheet.
- If there are further discrepancies on the packet regarding other income information reported, additional documents could be requested at a later date.
- Make photocopies of all documents for your records.
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.