Work Study FAQ’s

What is Work-Study?

Work-Study is a form of financial aid awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and meet certain eligibility requirements. The work-study program provides part-time employment to undergraduates and graduates to help with college expenses. It is not a grant, (you must work to earn it), and it is not a loan (you don’t have to repay it).

How do I acquire a work-study award?

You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility.
Note: Be sure to mark “yes” to the question on the FAFSA that asks if you are interested in being considered for work- study.

Work-study is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, to students with need as determined by the FAFSA and fund availability.

Note: Work-study funding is limited, so it is important to accept awards in a timely manner to avoid cancellation. Students who have accepted their work-study awards must secure employment within 30 days of award. If no payroll earnings are confirmed to utilize the work-study award, the funds will be cancelled and/or re-allocated.

How do I acquire a work-study position?

Students are eligible to apply for work-study jobs if, and only if, they have been awarded work-study as part of their financial aid package.

Various departments post openings before and during semesters.  Available positions, interview and contact information are listed online. Visit the PVAMU Student Employment job search webpage and search for a position.

You must have an active Universal Identification Number (UIN) for your position to be considered acquired.

Note: Your hiring packet and process must be complete to activate your UIN. Your UIN must be active as indicated in Timetraq and earnings must be indicated on payroll to maintain award eligibility per semester.

Who is responsible for monitoring my earnings once I begin working?

You and your supervisor are responsible for monitoring your earnings.

You and your supervisor set your schedule, rate of pay and work hours. Your awarded work-study amount (allocation) indicates the amount per term you may earn during the semester. Work-study students are not allowed to exceed their allocated funds for the semester. Therefore, to ensure your balance, you must monitor your earnings by completing a work-study balance sheet every pay period and submitting it to your supervisor. Your supervisor must verify your earnings and ensure that you do not exceed your allocation. If you exceed your work-study allocation, the hiring department is responsible for any overages that are incurred.

Do my work-study earnings automatically apply to my tuition, fees, housing, etc.?

No. A Work-study job provides the means to earn money to assist with your college expenses just like a regular job. You are placed on the University Payroll and paid biweekly.

You are responsible for paying all tuition, fees, housing, etc. that you incur separately.

How do I maintain my work-study eligibility?

To maintain your eligibility, you must adhere to all guidelines, terms and conditions of student employment; maintain minimum award enrollment requirements and Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Please remember, work-study eligibility varies by semester, if you wish to participate in work-study, you must reapply and renew your FAFSA each academic year.

Should I notify the Office of Student Financial Aid if I decide to decline my Work-Study award?

YES! If you initially accepted your work-study award, but wish not to participate, please notify the Financial Aid Office via an Award cancellation form so that the funding can be reallocated. A cancellation form can be found in our Forms Library.