Tornados strike with little or no warning. Employees should familiarize themselves with the warnings issued to the public & The KPVU 91.3 Radio Station.
- A Tornado WATCH means tornados are possible
- A Tornado WARNING means a tornado has been sighted and you should seek shelter immediately.
- A Severe Thunderstorm WATCH means severe thunderstorms are possible
- A Severe Thunderstorm WARNING means severe thunderstorms are occurring
- Thunderstorms can occur anywhere and at any time of the day. All thunderstorms produce lightning and thunder. A thunderstorm is classified as severe when it contains one or more of the following phenomena :
- Hail half an inch or larger
- Winds gusting in excess of 57.5 mph a tornado
WHEN A TORNADO IS SIGHTED
- Go to the lowest-level (floor) of your building
- Do not use the elevators — they can become stuck if the building’s power is lost
- Stay away from windows
- Get under a substantial structure such as a table or desk
- Use your arms to protect your head and neck
WHEN A TORNADO IS OVER
- Beware of broken glass
- Beware of downed power lines
- Beware of entering a damaged building
- Check for any injuries and report any problems to University Police Department (UPD)
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.