Counseling FAQs

1. How do I apply to get into the program?
Students desiring admission to the graduate programs in the Department of Educational Leadership and  must apply for admission to the Office of Graduate Studies; however, does not constitute admission to a master’s degree program in the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling.

In determining an applicant’s eligibility for admission to the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling, the following are essential:

  • A baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting agency equivalent to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools;
  • An overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent;
  • Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) on file in the Graduate School

2.  What if I apply and I am not accepted for full admission? What are my options?

Students who fail to meet the criteria for admissions may be placed in a non-degree/special or provisional status. Such students are not entitled to pursue a degree in the Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling until they receive unconditional admission.

Students who fail to satisfy the admission GPA minimum may not enroll in more than six (6) semester hours of graduate work in any one semester or full summer term while attempting to attain unconditional status. A student must obtain unconditional admission by the time 12 hours are earned or be dropped from the program.

Students admitted conditionally (non-degree/special or provisional status) when the GPA is less than 2.75 but no less than 2.45 on a 4.0 scale, may attain unconditional status by achieving the following:

  • A 3.0 GPA for the first 12 hours of graduate work, with no more than one “C”
  • Satisfactory completion (grades of A or B) of CNSL 5123– Appraisal Techniques, CNSL 5093, Educational Statistics (Counseling), CNSL 5143 – Human Growth and CNSL 5153 – Cross-Cultural Issues

Students may apply for conditional admission to graduate study (non-degree/special status) when the GPA is less than 2.45 but a minimum of 2.25. In addition to the general application requirements, supplementary requirements under this category are indicated below:

  • Request and pass a departmental interview, and
  • Make a passing score of 260 on the Reading Section of the TASP Examination (only the Reading Section of the TASP Examination must be taken), and maintain at least a “B” (3.0) average in all coursework.

Students may not enroll in more than six (6) semester hours of graduate work per term and may not enroll in more than 12 semester hours while in this category. Students who have completed a total of 12 semester hours, but who have been unsuccessful in scoring 260 or above on the Reading portion of the TASP Examination, will be dismissed from the program.

3.  What is the deadline for the application to the program?

In order to be considered for admission, both the graduate and departmental applications must be submitted by the deadline provided by the program which is typically mid-way during the spring semester. For the exact date, please visit Application Process.

4.  Where should I send application materials?

Graduate Admissions no longer accepts paper applications.  Applicants must complete and submit an electronic Graduate or International Graduate admissions application at:

5.  How long after I have submitted my application and fees will I know if I am accepted?

Your application is initially processed in the Office of Graduate Studies. Once completed it is sent to the department of your choice.  You will be notified of the status of your application as soon the information is processed and completed in both departments.

Time of completion is based on your completion of the application and sending official documents.  Important websites have been provided below.

Graduate Catalog

Texas Common Admission Application

(Students are encouraged to use the Texas Common Application to submit application via Internet)

Graduate School

6.  How many references should I submit? Whom should I ask to provide a reference?

Please provide three letters of reference. References should be individuals whose credentials help establish your potential academically and professionally.

7.  Are GRE scores required and what are the time limits on scores? How can I register to take the GRE?

GRE scores must be within 10 years old at the time of graduation from the program. Information about the test including how to register can be found at

8.  Can I be admitted at the beginning of any semester during the year?

Presently applications are processed throughout the calendar year.  You submit the application during each semester of the year.

Financial Assistance

9.  Can I get financial aid through PVAMU?

Financial aid is processed by the Office of Financial aid located on the third floor of the Memorial Student Center (MSC). Please select the Financial Aid option found in the Quick Links area of

10. What is the cost of attending PVAMU each year?

This information can be accessed at Select Financial Aid from the Quick Links section (upper right hand area). Select Cost of Attendance and the academic year of interest. Scroll down to the Graduate Tuition area. This information will provide the up-to-date cost chart.

11.  I am an International Student. Where can I find information regarding opportunities, options, and assistance?

Please visit the Office of Multicultural Affairs.

12.  Where on the PVAMU campus can I find the offices for Educational Leadership? What is the mailing address?

The offices can be found on the second floor of the Wilhelmina Delco Building.  The mailing address can be found below.

Prairie View A&M University
PO BOX 519, Mail Stop 2420
Prairie View, TX 77446

Phone: (936) 261-3530

E-Mail: Educational Leadership & Counseling

Matriculation Questions

13.  How can I find out the name of my assigned advisor?

Please go to the Department Website .  Select the advisor’s link. Find your advisor’s name which is assigned by the first initial of your last name.

14.  What advising steps should I perform as a new student in the program?

  • At the beginning of the program, you should submit the degree plan form.  This form can be found at ourdepartmental website .  This form establishes the course of study you will pursue.  The required courses for the respective degrees can be found here.
  • The candidacy form is the second form you will complete as you matriculate through the program. You will want to ensure you have completed the degree plan form (as a new student) and the candidacy form after successful completion of 12 hours of classes.
  • You should submit the typed degree forms in person, or via email. If submitting the forms via email, they must be signed and submitted as a scan in PDF format. Degree plan must be approved and signed by the advisor.

15.  How can I register for classes? What is the process during the registration period?

To access the registration system, please go to  You can select the student portal link from the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

a. Select the link for registration.  This link will allow you to access the system for registration or search for classes.

b. If you need help with PantherTracks in terms of learning how to update information, and register, please go to the student portal website and select help.  This site will have step-by-step instruction and visuals to assist you with each process.  You can also learn how to login for the first time.

c. New students must have alt. pin number in order to register.  This information can be obtained by contacting the departmental administrative assistants.

16. When and at what stage should I apply for graduation?

You should complete the application for graduation form by the deadline of the prior semester before the semester in which you will graduate. The graduation forms can be found online at Office of the Registrar forms.

17. What if I am currently a student and will be graduating the semester of the application deadline?

The application must be submitted (by the deadline) the semester prior to the expected graduating semester. Please refer to the university calendar for important dates.

Program and Course Delivery

18.  When are the classes offered? Where are the classes offered?

Classes are offered in the evenings (5:30-8:20 p.m.) and Saturdays (8:00-10:50 a.m., 11:00 a.m. – 1:50 p.m., and 2:00 – 4:50 p.m.).  Classes are offered on the Main Campus, Northwest Graduate Center, and online.

19.  Are courses offered online?

Yes. These courses will have the coding of  Z next to the course number in the Panther Tracks system.  The Panther Tracks system can be accessed at

20.  How many credits can be transferred? What documents are required?

You can transfer up to six hours if approved. You should submit an Official Transcript, copies of the catalog description from the university, and the transfer credit form (obtained from your academic advisor).

21.  What GPA is required to remain in the program?

Students must maintain a 3.00 GPA.  Students may only receive two grades of C in the program. Grades of C in courses may not be used towards certification. If course is taken again the last grade is the final grade.

22.  I want to be certified as a counselor. Does the program prepare me for certification?

Yes, each course in the Master of Arts degree plan route can be used towards the application for certification. Additionally, the candidate must take and successfully complete TExES #152 School Counseling exam. You will also need two years of teaching experience and successfully pass the Counseling exam with a score of at least 240.

23.  Do I need a Masters degree if I want to become a certified counselor?

Yes, the state of Texas requires administrative applicants hold a master’s degree. This information is provided by the Texas Education Agency at

24.  How long does it take to complete the Masters degree?

A total of 36 hours are required for the Masters degree. This area will be dependent upon the number of hours taken and credit hours received per semester. If candidates desire to complete the program in a year and one semester, you must take at least nine hours each of the four semesters.

Certification Information

25.  What are the requirements for school counselor certification in Texas?

Candidates seeking certification in Texas must have two years teaching experience (as required by the state of Texas), complete the required courses, and make a passing score of least 240 on the TExES Exam # 152.  The course information can be found at here.

26.  How can I participate in practice sessions to prepare for the TExES #152 School Counselor Exam?

Information about the practice review and test preparation sessions can be found at the departmental webpage.  Please select the TExES link found in the left-hand menu of the screen under Counseling.

Contact Information

Department of Educational Leadership and Counseling

Prairie View A&M University
P.O. Box 519, Mail Stop 2420
Prairie View, TX 77446

Phone: (936) 261-3530

Fax: (936) 261-3617

E-Mail: Educational Leadership & Counseling

Can we help you find what you’re looking for?