PRAIRIE VIEW, TEXAS (November 20, 2019) – A new Education Advisory Council (EAC) has been established for Prairie View A&M University’s Whitlowe R. Green College of Education.

“Most educator preparation programs have an advisory council. It is a requirement based on the Texas Education Code,” explained Interim Dean Dr. Michael McFrazier. “The EAC is typically comprised of leaders in education, industry, and community, and they provide valuable feedback on local, state, and national policies and trends relevant to educator preparation programs. They also offer advice and guidance to promote our program and student success in the College.”

PVAMU’s 26-member council includes an array of professionals, many of whom are PVAMU alumni.

“We have 14 external members and 12 internal members,” McFrazier said. “The 14 external members are superintendents, principals, and central office administrators from local school districts and other education partners, including representatives from Lone Star Community College. Leadership from Prairie View includes deans, department heads, and directors that are a part of educator preparation.”

Dr. Walter Jackson, who is now in his fifth year as superintendent for Brenham ISD, is a member of the council.

“When Prairie View calls, I pick up the phone. We hire lots of PV grads,” said Jackson, who earned a master’s degree in educational administration from PVAMU.

The advisory council also gives input on curriculum and teacher preparation strategies.

“As we are working to implement new programs or looking at strengthening what we have, they share with us what is going on in the field, because ultimately, they will be hiring our graduates,” McFrazier said.”

And he says the give-and-take for the EAC is beneficial to all involved.

“One school district has a male mentoring program, and they have already asked me to come and speak to them. So, it is reciprocity – they give to us, and we give to them,” he said.

Sheleah Reed, who received a bachelor’s degree from PVAMU in 2001 and a master’s degree from Texas Christian University in 2006, is the chief communications officer for Aldine ISD. She says she was elated to be asked to be on the council.

“I think Prairie View can lead the way in how you teach African Americans and also train teachers who can teach African American students,” said Reed, who describes herself as a “connector.” “That’s something I naturally do. I think areas like education matter. I am always connecting, not just when I see a need. I hope I can do that with Prairie View.”

McFrazier said, “We have students who will do their student teaching in these school districts. They have a vested interest. They want to see us do well, and we want to also be a support to them.”

PVAMU’s EAC is expected to meet at least twice a year.

###

By Sammy G. Allen