Spring 2019 Graduate
Degree: B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies – Math 4-8
Home Town: Bryan, TX

“Ms. Rhodes, why did you want to become a teacher?” – a student from my clinical teaching experience. Well, for starters, I haven’t always wanted to be a teacher. I actually started out as a nursing major at Blinn college, but I enjoyed mathematics so much and I was not really enjoying the nursing path anymore, I decided to test the waters of mathematics. I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT.

I actually started with helping my friends and sister with College Algebra, they gave me so much positive feedback that I got the great idea, “hey, maybe I should try this teaching thing out”. I even started tutoring Freshmen on campus because I was a Panther Advisory Leader and a Community Assistant, so I knew they were struggling in the math area and I was a direct point of contact for them. It’s funny because I always use to take career quizzes and I would always get the teaching career. I never thought I would be a teacher, in the back of my mind I always use to think, “Teachers do not make any money, why would I do that?” Later, I realized it was not even about the money, it was about helping the children and doing what I love without even feeling like I was working.

I became a teacher because I wanted to change the outlook of students saying they hate math. It may take time, but I will accomplish this goal. I feel as if they say this because they do not understand the subject, and they are not given proper reasoning why they are learning these concepts, which leads to the students saying they will never use this information anyway. I became a teacher because it is my plan to help students overcome their mathematical fears.

I did not become a teacher only to teach though. I became a teacher because our youth need positivity and good role models in their lives. Too many students are coming to school as a getaway from their home lives, and you never know the impact you have had in a child’s life.

If I could give students advice about being in the college of education it would be to take advantage of every opportunity they give you and take it seriously. Also, when it comes to certification tests, as soon as you are sure you want to become a teacher, buy your book and start studying. It is so, so important, and you do not want to be held back from your teaching experience because you were not prepared.

During my student teaching experience, I actually grew to love teaching even more. There was not a day I was not eager to learn something new during a lesson, or even from my supervising teacher. I appreciated the constructive criticism and it helped me grow even more as a teacher. In teaching, you not only make a connection with the students, but the students are connected with you. This past March I lost my mother and because I showed compassion towards the students when I came back from bereavement, they showed love towards me. They are one reason I was able to push through and finish my semester to graduation. The Whitlowe R. Green College of Education truly changed my life and perspective of teaching. Between the student teaching experience, my wonderful professors, and the administrative staff, they solidified my desire to learn more and want to teach. I could not imagine going to school for anything else, other than teaching. I am so excited to teach this upcoming Fall at North Shore Middle School in Galena Park ISD, as well as start my second semester of Graduate School at PVAMU. Prairie View A&M University produces productive people, and I am a product of that theory.