Junior
Degree: B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies – English Language Arts & Reading 4-8
Home Town: Indianapolis, IN

While growing up in Indianapolis, IN, my mother instilled in me the importance of service. To this day I remember every time we helped out at a food pantry trip, fed the homeless, or just donated time and/or money to people who needed. I was so accustomed to helping people that it became second nature to my life and a part of my values. There are not many people that have the heart to dedicate their time to helping ones in need. As a future educator, I am passionate about being able to help people that need help and also being able to see the rewards from it.

I’ll admit that during my elementary years I wanted to be a basketball player; but, as I grew older into my middle school years I noticed I had the gift of creativity and service. These gifts led me to want to become a teacher because teachers use these gifts every day.

It takes a creative teacher to mold a child’s mind to think beyond what the eye can see. Creative teachers think of innovative ways to make learning easier and fun. Making learning fun is what I strive to accomplish on my journey to becoming the best teacher. On this journey, I have already started thinking of creative ways to make the classroom environment better such as implementing meditation and music therapy as forms of discipline. These ideas and others are constantly circulating around in my mind.