Steps for Hiring Graduate Assistants
Please allow approximately 16 days for processing during the open hire period and 30 days for processing during the non-open hire period.
The open hiring period will begin a week prior to the beginning of each semester (Fall, Spring and Summer) not to exceed 30 calendar days.
Eligibility to be employed as a Graduate Assistant
- Student is enrolled as a full-time graduate student (min 9 hours Fall or Spring) (6 hrs Summer)
- Student is in good academic standing (3.0 or above GPA)
- Graduate Research Assistantship Non-Teaching (GANT) candidate has less than 18 hours of graduate course work
- Graduate Assistantship Research or Teaching (GAR or GAT) candidate must have more than 18 hours of graduate work
Step 1: Student completes Application for Employment
- Student completes, sign and date the online application using the “Create Application” link using the PV PATH Online Application System and turned in to the ECE Dept.
Step 2: Student provides a copy of detailed class schedule
- Student submits to the ECE Department a copy of their detailed class schedule from PantherTracks to provide proof of enrollment in graduate courses.
Step 3: Student completes Confidential Release form
- Student submits a Confidential Release Form to the ECE Department.
- Applicable to new hires
- Students with 30 day break in employment
- NOTE: Students continuously employment do not need this form
Step 4 Department submits Confidential form to HR (5 business days)
- Department submits the Confidential Release Form to HR (either delivered in person or faxed to x-1734. NOTE: FORM CANNOT BE EMAILED)
Step 5: Student and advisor completed the Blood Borne Pathogen (BBP) Personnel Exposure Assessment
- Department submits the Blood Borne Pathogen (BBP) Personnel Exposure Assessment signed by both the Graduate Assistant and the Graduate Assistant’s supervisor.
Step 6: Department extends Offer letter (after Confidential Release form has been approved) ( 5 business days)
- Confidential Release form has been approved
- Department completed using an Offer Template provided by the HR.
- Offer letter routed to the Vice President’s office using the standard routing process.
- Student accepted/declined offer letter and returns to ECE Department.
Step 7: Department routes EPA ( 6 business days)
- EGR (EPA) should be routed so that it is approved by the Office of Human Resources, three (3) working days prior to the Graduate Assistant’s start date.
- NOTE: A copy of the accepted offer of employment should be attached to the EGR along with student’ s schedule.
Step 8: Student attends orientation if new hire or has not worked in 30 days
- Graduate Assistants are required to attend New Employee Orientation (NEO).
- Email notification will be sent to the hiring department from the Office of Human Resources confirming the hire is approved to attend NEO.
Step 9: HR sends email for approval for work.
- Email received in Department
Step 10: Student begins work
- Student and advisor (supervisor) contacted by department to begin work.