Residing on campus at Prairie View A&M University means living in a community of learning. This community is a dynamic place, composed of various people with different values, cultures, lifestyles, and attitudes. As members of the community, we must strive to understand the individuality and life choices of those among us. We can best learn from one another in an atmosphere of positive encouragement and mutual respect. We must possess a genuine desire to learn from those around us as well as give others the respect and tolerance we desire. Each person has a role to play in our residence hall community and should be allowed to do so.
Prairie View A&M University residential communities incorporate the following:
- EDUCATION – to ensure that teaching and learning take place beyond the classroom;
- OPENNESS – so that ideas and thoughts can be discussed freely;
- RESPECT – to ensure that individuality is honored so diversity can be pursued;
- RESPONSIBILITY – so that the individual accepts obligations to the community and is held accountable for individual actions;
- CARING – to ensure that the individuals ‘ well-being is supported and that community service is encouraged;
- INVOLVEMENT – so that all individuals have a voice in decisions concerning their community;
- OWNERSHIP – to ensure that all individuals care for their building facilities and adjacent property; and
- CELEBRATION – so that Prairie View A&M University history and culture is promoted and that residence hall and university traditions are learned and shared.
Your rights in our community include: To socialize in your room; to sleep and study without disturbance; to live in a supportive and stimulating community; to live in a safe, secure, healthy, and clean environment; to enjoy access to a variety of programs, services, and facilities; and to involve yourself and others in promoting an educational, open, respectful, responsible, caring, involving, and harmonious community.
Your responsibilities in our community include: To consider the needs of other residents and balance them with your own needs; to promote care of the physical facilities, equipment, and service; to communicate with other residents and staff members to let other residents know when they are disturbing you; to demonstrate a commitment to the community by getting involved; to promote campus and individual safety; and to demonstrate dignity and respect for all individuals.
Living on campus at Prairie View A&M University affords you many opportunities to face challenges head on, achieve in a variety of areas and grow as an individual. However, these things only happen when you actively participate and support the community ideals stated here.
ENJOY YOUR UNIVERSITY EXPERIENCE!
Was this information helpful? Provide Feedback or report broken links.