Emily Ligon
Emily Ligon

‘Miss College of Nursing’ to Graduate Early with Two Job Offers

Emily Ligon began her studies at Prairie View A&M University in the fall of 2018 and quickly followed her heart to expedite her nursing career.

“I fast-tracked the program in my second semester, and I am graduating a semester early,” Ligon said. “My biggest challenge in life, thus far, has been nursing school. Before coming here, school was easy for me, but this program is a whole new ball game. I overcame it through faith and by keeping a positive support system around me.”

Ligon started her college career at Texas State University, where she completed prerequisite classes. She transferred to PVAMU and will complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing this fall.

“I attended Prairie View A&M University because I wanted to attend a Historically Black College/University, plus, PVAMU is one of the most prestigious nursing schools,” said the first-generation college student and San Antonio native.

Throughout her time at PVAMU, Ligon had dual support from her family and church family, who kept her in their prayers and uplifted. She also had dual support in the Texas Medical Center through her cohort and faculty.

“There are people in my cohort who became like a family because you spend so much time studying together,” Ligon said. “The only people who know how hard nursing school is are the people actually in nursing school with you.”

Aside from her rigorous curriculum, which allowed her to graduate early, Ligon, who was chosen to be Miss College of Nursing Fall 2019, still found time to be active in student organizations. She is a member of the Prairie View International Student Nursing Organization and a student member of the Black Nurses Association of Greater Houston.

By January 2020, Ligon plans to take the National Council Licensure Examination, the nationwide examination for the licensing of nurses in the United States and Canada.

“The faculty at the College of Nursing help prepare you for the real world,” Ligon said. “They are encouraging and truly want the students to succeed. The clinicals and simulations [I mastered] have been a vital part of my hands-on learning in which I have learned much from.”

Ligon received two job offers – one from the Nurse Residency Program at Memorial Hermann Greater Heights Hospital and another from Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital, where she would be an emergency room nurse. She accepted the offer from Greater Heights.

###

By Michael Douglas